Wednesday, July 16, 2008

ROSEMALING!

Eek!!! A dream come true! I have wanted to learn Rosemaling forever! I am now officially a Rosemaler!

For those who need help, rosemaling is Norwegian rose painting. It's handed down from the "old masters" when they used to decorate everything dull and boring in their homes. My Mother used to do it and has painted beautiful works of art!

It's not exactly the easiest thing... my Mother, bless her heart, gave me a nice box full of supplies and even some of her old books for me to get started. Eek! Well I couldn't just pull it all out and just go with it... I have never painted with oils before and didn't have a clue what all the little bottles were for. So I asked around for someone who was in town who could teach me... A lady I contacted said there would be a class in June in SF. So I signed up and drove down Monday - Thursday the first week in June and spend the days learning. OH how fun!!!

I made a plate (the blue one) in class and since then painted part of a box for my paint brushes. I've been looking at rummages for anything wood with possibility. I've sanded and sanded and have dreams of one day owning an electric sander and a better drummel tool! hahahaha! I have my first batch of items basecoated finally ready for rosemaling. I started a small bread board yesterday and hope to finish by this weekend.. I know it shouldn't take too long but busy life. And I'm still learning how everything blends... The design/pattern and color placement is very important and does take a long time (for a beginner at least) and the sad thing is the painting, which is the funnest is so brief.

Well I hope to continue to be ambitious... I'll share more when I can.





2 comments:

Tess said...

Very nice! Good work Brandy!!! You are so talented!

Sandy said...

I was glad to see your paintings when we were up there. You have been wanting to do this for so long and I can see why, you are very good at it.