Monday, April 27, 2009

I'm A Bird Watcher

I just love birds! I have been watching birds since we lived on the farm. Being at home there were times you just looked out the window at the birds. So you start to notice them. And feed them... and identify them with books.

Here in town I have a few feeders and we play with the variety of food and placement of that food. We have found the Starlings, Grackles and Blue Jays love dog food. So we offer it once and a while with the corn. The squirrels like corn you know... and lollipops! HAHA!!!

Yesturday we discovered the lollipop liking... Declan had one that got left behind by the feeders. A squirrel found it and was enjoying it. Along came another squirrel and the first one with lolly in it's mouth began to chase the other all over the neighborhood. Elijah and I just laughed. Then it retreated to it's own tree to enjoy it's new snack.

We have had the typical variety of sparrows, yellow finches, red house finches, an occasional cardinal, mourning doves,... Well these last few days we've spotted a few new birds... the first is the Hairy Woodpecker, we saw a female.


And this fun little White - Breasted Nuthatch


Last week I found this bird by the water. I couldn't wait to come home to find out what kind it was. It was perched on a tree looking down to the water. When it saw a fish it would dive right in and catch one and fly to a new branch. It did this all down the waters edge then it would fly back to the beginning tree. And repeat. It was so great to watch. It sounded like a kids machine gun. I had the library book for SD birds and looked as soon as I was home. The identity is a Belted Kingfisher.


Today I just had to ahve my own copy of the book from the library and our bookstore had a copy... Yee haw!!! I've been making notes in it already. There is a nice check list in the back.


The kids are into bird watching too. Everytime something is going on someone is calling someone to come look at something! The kids were even sitting by the feeders today in camo... Elijah was even bold enough and was able to pet a bird, ask her about it... she will go on and on! Well, I'll keep you updated on any new discoveries if we have any. Hope you all have a wonderful day watching God's creation!

(ps. bird pics are from the internet, not my own.)

1 comment:

Tess said...

Well, now I know where to send Micah! He loves to watch birds and squirrels!! He gets a kick out of them. Last night a squirrel was running through the grass and he was so excited! MOM, MOM, LOOK, HE IS JUMPING! Oh yeah, it was pure joy.