Thursday, May 26, 2011

Women of the Bible: Eve

I was going to get up and go to work early today... but I had such a great time with the Lord yesterday, I decided not to let this time pass by without sharing it with you.

A friend and I decided to get to gather every now and again to have a Bible study. I shared this study I picked up a while back that I couldn't pass up,"Women of the Bible." It offers up 52 individual studies of the women of the Bible.... wow! Like I said I couldn't resist grabbing it. It could come in handy one day. So my friend agreed to do it with me. We of course began at the beginning with Eve.

The reading was Genesis 1-4. Yes, I have read this before... on more than one occasion, but this is classic God... He brings out new things for me every time! I saw thing that were speaking directly to me...

My Role as a Wife:
After the sin of eating the forbidden fruit occurred, God said, "Because you have done this,..." (Gen. 3:14) then handed out the consequences... He told Adam, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’
“Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it all the days of your life. It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field. By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, ..."
(Gen. 3:17-19)

I know that this curse is already in effect, our men will toil and things will work against them... but I'm going to try to do my best to stay under the protection and authority of my husband as to not to cause any more grief. Yes, it is hard at times but we women can work at it, start anew each day. God set up a wonderful structure of authority to give us all freedom.!! He honestly did. Read Romans 13 & Ephesians 6!!

I know that I personally fail at this. Over and over! I don't think and then spout off my opinions and I sway him to follow my lead, when I should be following his. I'm bossy and feel that this is my home to run the way I want it. What happened to the man being the king of his castle? How can he be if I'm the one calling all the shots? Our job as wives is to RESPECT our husbands. His is to Love us... (Ephesians 5:33) but it's hard when we are bossy and pushy. As if he doesn't work hard enough to provide for us!

(Side note to this... it makes me think of The Taming of the Shrew! At the end she give a wonderful speech to her sister and another woman about the duties of a wife... you must see it. I wish I could get a recording for a pep talk to myself on a regular basis! This link is the best I could find. The text is under the pictures.)


My Anger Issues:
I spent too much time looking for "Taming of the Shrew" speech that I am now out of time! Ugh. But I will leave you on this. In Genesis 4, before Cain killed Able, God spoke with Cain. "Then the LORD said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.” I need to take these words to heart. I am angry often! Typically for trying my best and not being appreciated or heard. But I do let my anger sway me to behave badly. I have to conquer the anger and not sin in it. Anger is not a sin... it's the behavior that I allow to take control of me.

Out of time. There was so much more... but I'll share later! Have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

Beryl said...

:-)Thanks, Brandize.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! -- Amy